£10 can change the life one person!
Geologically it is very challenging to drill in Burkina Faso, West Africa with an average success rate of only 55% as opposed to other areas of Africa where the success rate is almost 100%. However with time spent surveying proposed drill site accurately Friends in Action’s success rate is almost 20% above the national average at 75%.
Taking into account the 25% where water is not found the average depth where FIA needs to drill to get water is approximately 350 feet (107M) At this depth FIA can drill a well in for £5,000. This is typically less than half the cost of the same well completed by a local contractor.
At least 500 people benefit from a £5,000 drilled well’s life giving water supply. Just think – this means that as little as £10 can change life for one person!
The £5000 cost/well includes:
- All need assessment work
- Desk study
- Field survey and site visit
- Equipment and team mobilisation throughout Burkina Faso
- Well Drilling (wells are drilled by self funding volunteers)
- 8” Casing, 5” well liner (full depth of well), gravel pack, seal
- Well development work
- Flow testing – airlift and submersible pump testing
- Pump installation – Hand pump approx £1,000/well varies on depth of well
- Training/advice/Follow up visits
To sponsor a Well, part of a Well or simply give £10 to give a child clean drinking Water for Life.